Thursday, July 4, 2013

HAPPY 4th OF JULY!!!

Contrary to what many think we Mexicans or Chicanos,for that matter, DO celebrate American holidays and we know what we are celebrating contrary to so many here in the U.S. who "celebrate" Cinco de Mayo and think it's Mexican Independence day! WRONG! So we will be having a BBQ, hanging by the pool and watching fireworks at night, pretty patriotic right?

Regardless of where my parents are from I feel very American, of course never losing sight of where I came from. My Chicana struggles begin way back before I was born. Back in 1952 when an American couple "hired" a nanny for their kids from a poor family in Mexico. My mom at age 9 was that nanny, she was a child hired to help take care of 3 children barely younger than her. She wanted to help her family who struggled to put food on the table so she swallowed her tears and put up a strong front so to show my grandmother "I can do this". Little did she know that she would never be a child again...

Happy 237th Year of Independence to the United States!

No comments:

Post a Comment